Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just for fun, I'm curious about how native speakers do mental translation from Gregorian calendar year (e.g 2011) to Japanese era name 年号 (e.g. 平成23年), and vice versa. Do you have special and preferably fun ways like mnemonics or children songs (something like the ABC song) to help you do the translation on-the-fly?

p/s: Due to subjectiveness of this question, I'm totally fine if this is made into community wiki.

share|improve this question
I doubt that this is a question about the language. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 19 '11 at 15:46
There have to be some difficulty years to deal with: 1989, 1926, 1912. Luckily the post-Meiji Japanese governments don't change era names every few years to have a better luck, so it's much easier. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 19 '11 at 17:02
I flagged it asking to make it community wiki. :) –  Alenanno Jun 19 '11 at 17:52

does japanese applications usually show date based on gregorian or japanese era? –  Pacerier Jun 19 '11 at 22:46
@crunchyt: I do not think that the use of Japanese era names is uniquely associated with the Japanese language. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 20 '11 at 0:17
show 4 more comments

closed as off topic by bdonlan, Tsuyoshi Ito, Amanda S, Mark Hosang, Dori Jun 21 '11 at 1:54

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

From experience, I find Japanese people having lots of trouble converting between Japanese and Gregorian calendar years. I regularly surprise people with my ability to do that as follows (Japanese calendar years are often represented with an alphabet character like S or H.):

Showa Era (1925 to 1989)

1. Subtract 1900 (e.g. 1976 - 1900 = 76)
  2. Subtract 25 (e.g. 76 - 25 = S 51)

Heisei Era (1989 to 2000)

1. Count forward from 1989 (e.g. 1989 = H1, 1990 = H2, ...)

Heisei Era (2000 onwards)

1. Add 11 to post-2000 Western date (e.g. 2010 = H21, 2011 = H22, ...)
share|improve this answer

That's great! I'm bad at mental math, but I think even I could do that :D –  silvermaple Dec 30 '11 at 22:11

This is an excellent system @crunchyt! I'll have to make a point of remembering this one. –  Jamie Taylor Mar 19 '12 at 15:25
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.