Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this Question about computer science jargon, most answers to date are electronic resources and that makes sense.

But I would like to know if there are printed japanese/english or japanese/german dictionary which gives careful consideration to scientific, technological and philosophical (analytical, epistemology) meanings of kanjis without being too difficult to peruse for a non-native learner. I would not be able to comfortably use a japanese-only reference.

It does not need to be strictly a dictionary. I am interested in printed books about scientific japanese writing for instance, or specialized documents with a glossary for that specialty. I remember among other things seing a japanese colleague with a nice book about german philosophical concepts and their kanji approximation and translation. I presume there are other such books in areas such as biology, cognitive sciences, physics, history of science.

share|improve this question
I can't help you with printed resources, but a trick I often use to translate a technical term is looking at the Japanese Wikipedia page that's linked to the English page. For instance, the English page on existentialism links to a Japanese page entitled 実存主義, hence I am fairly confident that 実存主義 is the word for existentialism. This isn't a great answer, but it's better than nothing. –  Amanda S Jun 23 '11 at 7:02

It is a nice trick, nevertheless. –  ogerard Jul 2 '11 at 17:57

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C has many dictionaries, including some scientific ones.

But you asked for print media...

There are others, too. Searching Amazon for "japanese english dictionary scientific" is a good start.

Thanks to the rules here, 2 of those don't get linked. You'll have to copy and paste.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for the edit, YOU! –  William Jun 23 '11 at 15:53

Books: Basic Technical Japanese by Edward Daub, et.al Intermediate Technical Japanese

Search for "Technical Japanese Series" on amazon or google. There are books that cover specific science/engineering areas.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.