Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the sentence in my book: 昔は、若い女性が男性と二人で出かけようものなら、町中のうわさになったものだ。

I was wondering if this means that it is possible to modify nouns with the volitional form. I have so far heard that it isn't, which makes this grammar point confusing. Could someone give me an explanation as to how to understand ~ようものなら in the above sentence? Is it like, "If women WISHED to go out with men..."? Or does the volitional have some other interpretation here?

share|improve this question
Interesting question. Some other cases of noun-modifying volitionals: google.co.jp/… –  dainichi Nov 6 '13 at 6:14

Who told you it modified a noun in that sentence? Read my answer. –  非回答者 Nov 6 '13 at 7:43
@TokyoNagoya, I know the question is not stated that way, but given that the etymology of ものなら involves a formal noun もの, I think it's a fair question to ask whether volitionals modifying nouns have ever been productive, and under what circumstances. –  dainichi Nov 6 '13 at 14:40
@dainichi There is also the expression 成【な】ろう事【こと】なら which supports the idea of some level of past productivity of volitionals modifying nouns. –  rintaun Nov 7 '13 at 3:34

@rintaun, ah yes, good find! I'm definitely drawing a mental parallel to subjunctive/conjunctive/irrealis moods in IE languages, which also tend to serve volitional purposes. –  dainichi Nov 7 '13 at 4:38

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Again, ものなら is one word. It is a conjunctive particle that has the same meaning as ~~としたら = "if one were to try ~~ing".

"In the old days, if a young woman were to try going out with a man just the two of them, it would be the talk of the town."

SVP DO NOT take my English TL too literally; English is my worst language.

share|improve this answer

I presumed もの was a noun and なら was a particle... But if I am to think of it as a particle and a whole... I guess that might work too! Your English is great don't worry about it. Thankyou for your help! –  Nathan Nov 6 '13 at 8:22
English is my worst language >> Lol you're being sarcastic right? –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 13:19

What about your French or Chinese then!? –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 13:31

For what it's worth, @TokyoNagoya didn't claim to have poor English; just that it's the worst of all the languages (s)he knows. –  istrasci Nov 6 '13 at 15:38

@istrasci え、そういう意味なの? –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 15:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.