Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I thought that の always had to modify a noun... so how come a sentence like the following is possible despite there being no nominalization of what follows の ?

たたみに布団を敷いて寝てみたものの、背中が痛くて寝られなかった。

Is this a different type of の? or does の work differently to how I imagined it? I there any elision??? If the ものの construction has no such explanation then I am ok with that, but if there is one I'd like to hear it.

share|improve this question
In modern japanese, ものの is a lexicalized conjunction. Are you asking about etymology? –  dainichi Nov 6 '13 at 7:54

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

As Tokyo Nagoya stated in his answer, in modern Japanese, ものの is considered one word, a 接続助詞 (conjunctive particle).

However, it does in fact consist of the noun 「もの」 and the genitive case-marking particle 「の」. There is no elision occurring. Generally speaking, your thoughts on how this particle works are correct: it takes two nouns (or noun-forms) and makes on larger noun-form.

However, the genitive case in Japanese can also mark the subject of an adnominal clause, for example:

• 神の怒った日
  • 事故の起こるところ

These may look like they are connecting (神)の(起こった日) and (事故)の(起こるところ), but what is actually happening is (神の起こった)日 and (事故の起こった)ところ -- the 「の」 is marking the subject of those adnominal clauses. This form of subject marking has existed since before Old Japanese.

「ものの」 is attested from the Heian Period onward, and though I was unable to find any explanation of this construction in particular, I would hypothesize that it is related to the noun-marking function.

share|improve this answer

"it takes two nouns" -- which nouns in this case? one may be もの, but what is the other? –  jovanni Nov 6 '13 at 8:24

Perfect. I will look into this further and try and change my understanding in other places that use の! Thankyou so much :)! –  Nathan Nov 6 '13 at 8:24
Perhaps the second nominal was the following clause? As I understand it, in classical Japanese a clause ending in 連体形 was essentially a nominalized clause. That's how the genitive が was able to attach to a clause, which led to it being reanalyzed as a conjunctive particle. It seems plausible that の could be playing a similar role here. (See Shibatani's The Languages of Japan pages 353-354 for some relevant historical information on の/が and the idea that 連体形-clauses could function as nominals.) –  snailboat Nov 6 '13 at 8:59

@snailboat, interesting! This is the kind of insight I was hoping someone would bring to the table. So on top of が and の having some functional overlap as genitive/nominative markers, can we hypothesize that they also have functional overlap as "although"? If so, the next question would be whether ものが or just の have ever existed as conjunctions meaning "although". –  dainichi Nov 6 '13 at 15:27
@dainichi As far as I could find, の is not considered to have developed conjunctive properties like が has. However, interestingly, のに has a related meaning, which could potentially shed some light –  rintaun Nov 7 '13 at 0:45

ものの is one word. It should be in your dictionary.

ものの is a conjunctive particle meaning けれども = "even though".

"Even though I tried to sleep by spreading futons on the tatami, I was unable to sleep because my back hurt."

share|improve this answer

Why downvote? 回答は悪くないけど性格が悪いから? –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 13:28
upvoted to compensate♡ –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 13:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.