Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the most common Japanese word to use when referring to any kind of enemy in a video game. I know the word モンスター is common for non-human enemies, but is there just a general term for any kind of enemy? Thank you

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Native speaker here. 敵{てき}キャラ might be what you are looking for. You could use 敵 if you wanted to but that word is so general that it is used in a war in real life as well. 敵 just does not give off the fun feeling that 敵キャラ and モンスター do for the player.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for confirming that. It makes complete sense now. n__n –  kraftydinosaur Nov 5 '13 at 23:49
Sorry, is that reading かたき or てき? –  atheistwithrum Nov 6 '13 at 0:14
When I hear かたき I think 仇, actually... –  Zhen Lin Nov 6 '13 at 18:03

As far as I know, the most general term for an opponent or enemy is 敵【てき】. This applies to enemies in games, as well.

share|improve this answer

Thank you. After a few Google searches for game enemies, it seems like 敵 is almost always followed by キャラ like 敵キャラ. キャラ being an abbreviation for キャラクター or character. Is using 敵 by itself just as acceptable? –  kraftydinosaur Nov 5 '13 at 23:47

I disagree for the reason I gave in my answer. –  非回答者 Nov 5 '13 at 23:49
To his credit, 敵キャラ is what you would say outside the context of the game in specific reference to it as a type of character. Inside the game they wouldn't say 「敵キャラをやっつけてください」 –  ssb Nov 6 '13 at 2:07
I agree with ssb, we say [敵]{てき} when actually playing the game, eg ほらそこ、敵!/敵が来た!/ここ、敵多い!rather than ほらそこ、敵キャラ!/敵キャラが来た!/ここ、敵キャラ多い! –  Choko Nov 6 '13 at 13:40

@ssb: Clearly characters in a game do not refer to their enemy as an “enemy in a game” unless it is a metafictional reference, but I do not think that this is what this question is about. That said, as ちょこれーと stated, we sometimes use also 敵 to mean 敵キャラ. As far as I can imagine, this happens either (1) when the meaning is clear from the context or (2) when the speaker feels that he/she is inside the game. In the case of (2), the speaker is essentially acting as a character in the game. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 10 '13 at 22:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.