Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, in the sentence 飲んだり食べたりした. Does this たり have anything to do with the -(i)tari ending in Classical Japanese that meant the present progressive (and later semantically shifted to past, and then even later truncated to -ta)? As in われ食べたり = 私は食べている?

It seems quite similar, attaching to the 連用形 (albeit with 音便), and with the same form. The meaning is very, very different though. Are they related?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, it does.

In Classical Japanese, たり was an auxiliary verb but in Modern Japanese, it is a particle. The meaning and usage changed somewhat over time in that presently, it is used only in colloquial speech.

Regarding your example phrase われ食べたり, I need to mention the fact that 食べる is a modern verb; therefore, you should not combine it with the Classical auxiliary verb たり. The Classical versions of 食べる are 食ふ・食らふ and 食(た)ぐ.

share|improve this answer

食べる was not originally a 二段 verb 食ぶ 食ぶる? I guess I am just too stuck with modern vocab... –  user54609 Nov 5 '13 at 1:45
@user546099 Yes, it did come from 食ぶ. The verbs Tokyo Nagoya mentions are classical verbs with similar meaning rather than older versions of 食べる, strictly speaking. –  snailboat Nov 5 '13 at 1:48

So 食ぶ used to be an uncommon verb? –  user54609 Nov 5 '13 at 1:52

@user54609 You might want to ask that as a separate question, since this one is about 〜たり and not about 食ぶ. (I recall reading that 食ぶ was originally from 賜ぶ, and that it became used as a 謙譲語/丁寧語 form of 食ふ・飲む because of its literal meaning, something like the modern いただく.) –  snailboat Nov 5 '13 at 1:54
Answers and comment threads like this make me want to ask a question which requires all you smart people to tell me everything. It's all so fascinating :D –  rintaun Nov 5 '13 at 4:01
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.