Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

These all seem to be used for explanation... when do you use one over the other? Could you offer some examples?

To clarify about の, I am talking about its use in providing information, like, 昨日、デパートに行ったんです

share|improve this question
I am pretty sure you have seen some examples where these words are used for explanation. (Otherwise why would they seem to be used in that way in the first place?) Please include examples in the question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 3 '13 at 9:50
Can you rephrase your question by using more words? By の, are you referring to the の in phrases such as のです and のである? If so, I do not understand why it is grouped with わけ and 理由, which are nouns. –  非回答者 Nov 4 '13 at 10:04

@Tokyo Nagoya: I have some idea on why OP grouped の with わけ and 理由, but I’d rather wait for OP to edit the question than editing it by myself. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 4 '13 at 12:50

I can understand the grouping of の・わけ and わけ・理由 but not the grouping of all three... –  rintaun Nov 4 '13 at 14:22
I still do not understand what OP wants to find out. I feel like what he is trying to ask is a very good question, though. He definitely needs to use more words. More specific the questions, the better answers he will get. –  非回答者 Nov 7 '13 at 0:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.