Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's an image of it:

Manga SFX

It looks kind of like ダダ (da da) to me, but then I'm not sure what to make of the last mark. Can someone offer their insight, please? Thanks!

share|improve this question

What exactly is the action being performed here? Just grappling someone? –  ssb Nov 1 '13 at 6:14
柔道の場面かな。浦澤直樹のYAWARA!に見えます。。。 –  Choko Nov 1 '13 at 13:08

2 Answers 2

It's either ダダー or ダタッ. Given that if it were a ー on the end then it would probably be horizontally aligned with the other characters, I'm going to assume it's a ツ, and because ダタツ doesn't seem to make much sense as onomatopoeia, it should be a ッ (small-tsu). Given that it looks like a kind of shorter 'impact' sound and not something extended or ringing, I think we can rule out ダダー on both counts.

So my vote is for ダタッ!

share|improve this answer
I agree that it could be ダタッ but what does that mean? –  ishikun Nov 1 '13 at 8:25

I guess it's a sound like "data!" –  ssb Nov 1 '13 at 8:28

Lol, can't imagine what that sounds like, I keep hearing 'tada~!' in my mind (the English one) and that doesn't fit the picture at all :( –  ishikun Nov 1 '13 at 8:29
Yeah try not to think about it too much. Manga writers can get pretty creative with their onomatopoeia. Just look at what's going on in the picture and try to imagine it said in a manner that might resemble what you would hear. That's the best advice I can offer. –  ssb Nov 1 '13 at 8:31

Have a look at this SFX database. It is important as a translator to provide the meaning of an effect so that the person who is going to think about an effect in English knows what would be most suitable.

http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/index/ta/

share|improve this answer
That database might be helpful in some other contexts, but how does it help answering the current question? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 2 '13 at 9:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.