Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There's a series that started airing where I live, 謎解きはディナーのあとで, and along with greatly enjoying the style, I've been very fascinated by the butler's very formal manner of speaking. What I never got, though, was what powers お忘れなきよう, which is what he says after telling his mistress about what the main lesson she needs to take with her is. Does anyone know? Is it something along the lines of "Let us never speak of this again"?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

First, it is なきよう, not なきょう.

なき is a literary form of ない, and よう is the same as ように, which is often used at the end of a polite request.

お忘れなきよう = お忘れのないようになさってください

In case you are not familiar with なさってください, it is a politer form of してください.

Therefore, the phrase means "Please do not forget."

share|improve this answer

Interesting. Where can I learn more about this grammar form? –  Roy Fuentes Oct 29 '13 at 0:00

How does なき compare with ございません in terms of politeness? Often heard on trains/subway: お忘れ物がございませんよう、ご注意ください. –  istrasci Oct 29 '13 at 4:07

Why お忘れ「の」ないように rather than just お忘れないように? –  Kaz Oct 29 '13 at 4:48
@istrasci, なき is not polite, it's literary/archaic. なき in a train announcement would be out of place. –  dainichi Oct 30 '13 at 0:47

@Kaz The verb stem functions as noun, which can then be prefixed with the honorific お. no-ga conversion makes お忘れ が ないように into お忘れのないように. This is (now) the standard way to make a request into a polite request. –  Earthliŋ Nov 2 '13 at 13:07
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.