Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to translate the sentence in the title. Clearly,

君に会うと、会いたくなくなる。

seems to be wrong. Wouldn't this mean "When I see you, I would never want to see you again" or something like that?

How to say this simple sentence? My brain is shortcircuiting for some reason...

share|improve this question
Just to understand what you are trying to convey, why is it not "I will stop..."? –  dainichi Oct 24 '13 at 5:53

@dainichi I offer this and this to explain that particular use of would. It's used to express tentativeness. I guess it works as a kind of a hedge. –  Flaw Oct 24 '13 at 11:22

Does your sentence more literally mean "I won't stop missing you until I see you again"? –  snailboat Oct 24 '13 at 14:26

No, it was in English, in response to 'When would you stop missing me'? I said 'only when I finally get to see you again'. I have this habit of translating convos into Japanese in my head, but kind of locked up there. –  user54609 Oct 24 '13 at 18:10

@Flaw, so this is Malaysian/Singaporean English? The reason I ask is that AFAIK, in standard English, "would" is used for counterfactual conditionals (and it would have to be "met"), and that changes the nuance of the question quite a bit. –  dainichi Oct 25 '13 at 1:39
show 2 more comments

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"君に会うと、会いたくなくなる。" means "If I meet you, I will start wishing not to meet you."

In parts 君に会うと. The と is one of your four many options for if type expressions. But this particular one has a 前後 (before/after) connection some of the others lack. This means the event following in this case happens temporally after. So it could also be translated "After I meet with you, I start to wish I didn't meet you" or something roughly like that (the tense in the ~と clause is immaterial in Japanese).

The second half involves the following sequence:

会う to meet

会いたい to want to meet

あいたくない to not want to meet

あいたくなく adverbialization of the constructon

なる in this case to become

ergo, I begin to not want to meet you.

Thus, together, whenever I meet with you, I start wishing I didn't meet you.

share|improve this answer

Exactly this. と is being used to mark a condition that brings about an event or state. It's important to note that when と is used in this way, the triggered event/state must be nonvolitional / uncontrollable. –  rintaun Oct 24 '13 at 7:29

What would be the correct expression though? I was trying to translate the English to Japanese, and clearly made an epic fail. –  user54609 Oct 24 '13 at 13:25

From researching alc.co.jp, 恋しい and 寂しい were consistently used to convey the feeling of 'missing' someone. 恋しい in particular. As for the proper conditional, -eba, -nara, or -tara would be applicable. –  user4060 Oct 24 '13 at 13:49

In terms of how I would say what you want to say... [person's name]と会うまでに、この寂しさは終わらない。 but that would be until I meet you again, this loneliness will not end. –  virmaior Nov 5 '13 at 2:29
add comment

I would say it like this:

君に会えたら、 If I were to meet you
必ず、 for sure
同時に、 in that same moment
この「君に会いたい」気持ちが消えちゃう。 this I-miss-you feeling would disappear.
share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.