Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Reading "プラチナデータ" by 東野圭吾.

Not clear on the meaning of: "俺、何度も彼女を殺しそうになったもんな" - "I often almost killed her ... (monna?)"

What is "monna"? I suppose "mono nara" ("if that thing"), but then I don't understand the whole sentence - is it "If I often almost killed her"?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

More than anything, it is a colloquial way of adding the nuance of "retrospective confession or boasting" in my own words.

share|improve this answer
add comment

It's a variation of entry 2イ here:

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/219750/m0u/

As Goo says, it's basically an exclamatory way to state a reason for something, 「詠嘆の意をこめて理由を表す」. I don't have the context in this case, but I would say that in most cases the meaning is approximately the same as

俺、何度も彼女を殺しそうになったからな

and I would give the English translation as roughly

I did almost kill her several times, didn't I...

Thanks for the replies! This sentence is uttered by a character being interrogated by the police, boasting about his "prowesses" with his 彼女 using a special device called a "電トリ ". I would probably go with "もんな" -> "からな", since the character is not offering any reason other than boasting he is really proud of himself... –  Swalbol Oct 24 '13 at 7:19
add comment

I think that it comes from the grammar form ~もの + だ. Which when changed to casual becomes もんだ which then you could add a な to.

ものです-> もんだ->もんだな->もんな

I think this may be a usage of 'reason/explanation' version of ~もの, perhaps in a sentence before or after the character is talking about why he had often almost killed her?

nope, the 丁寧語 of なったもんな is なりましたもんな, not なったものですな. This is a sentence ending particle, not a formal noun. –  dainichi Oct 23 '13 at 7:48

I'm not really sure what your comment is in reference to, but what I'm trying to explain is that the もんな from the poster's question comes from もの and な. I edited the question so hopefully that is more clear –  ishikun Oct 23 '13 at 8:31
Ishikun. I thought your answer was good. –  Kirk Oct 23 '13 at 8:38
It's correct that it comes from もの+な, but ものです is not relevant. –  dainichi Oct 23 '13 at 9:41
@ishikun Let me try and see if I can get it right: a formal noun (形式名詞) is like a noun in form, so it can turn the clause before it into a relative clause and be followed by だ. (As a formal noun, もの is a nominalizer.) But since this is the sentence final particle (終助詞), it doesn't act like a noun, and you can't put だ after it any more than you can put だ after よね. (Plus, it can come after だ, something no noun can do.) –  snailboat Oct 23 '13 at 11:42
show 7 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.