Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Many emails received from Japanese companies contains characters-based dingbat-style ornament like this:

■□■□■□────────────────────────────  
blablablablablablablabla  
────────────────────────────■□■□■□

■blabla  
| bla:blablabla  
| bla:blabla

■┓  bla   ┏■  
┗┛━━━━━━━━━━┗┛  

It seems to be a particular case of Shift_JIS art (which I don't know how to say in Japanese either, by the way).

What do you call this type of email decoration in Japanese?

share|improve this question

According to this page Shift_JIS art is called "JISアート"... –  Choko Oct 22 '13 at 13:38
I think a lot of people refer to JIS / Shift_JIS / Unicode (etc.) art as "AA", ignoring whether or not it's actually ASCII. –  snailboat Oct 22 '13 at 14:13
If these are signatures (decorated or not), we just call them as "署名". It these are in bodies, these are probably called "飾り罫", I think. –  marasai Oct 22 '13 at 16:11
@ちょこれーと that page contains many many errors, do not trust it. For example, 'JISコード(shift-JIS又はEUC-JP)は' is not correct. –  jovanni Oct 23 '13 at 13:08
飾り罫 (decorative frame of text) is read as かざりけい. It does not necessarily mean decorative frame represented as text. Probably there is no word which exactly describes decorative frame represented as text (either in Japanese or in English), if that is what you are asking. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 30 '13 at 2:22

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This decorative frame can be called 飾り罫 (かざりけい).

飾り罫 can be text-based or not, it means any kind of dingbat-style framing in general.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.