Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ok, still a newbie to Japanese. I've run across the word こと more and more recently. I'm having a hard time understanding what effect it's having on the sentence. For example, although I know the meaning of all the sentences below, I can't tell you what こと means or what it's doing to the sentence. Can someone give me some insight into its meaning? Thanks. See examples below

最初は国道を走りましたが、混んでいましたので、高速道路で行くことにしました。 First I took the National Road, but traffic was heavy, so we decided to take the subway.

トラックを追い越すことは難しいです It’s hard to pass trucks.

静岡辺りでスピード違反でパトカーに捉まってしまいました。すごい罰金を払うことになりました Around Shizuoka, we were stopped by a police car for speeding. I had to pay a huge fine.

雨が降っていましたから、地下鉄で行くことにしました Because it was raining, I decided to go by subway

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Syntactically こと is a nominalizer in all these sentences, i.e. it turns a verb into a noun by simple concatenation (e.g. 行くこと, 行く modifies こと).

Semantically,

• [verb]+ことにする is a set phrase and means "to decide to [verb]"
  • [verb]+ことになる is also a set phrase and means "to turn out that [verb]".

[verb]ことは難しいです just means "[verb]ing is difficult" or "it is difficult to [verb]".

Another nominalizer in Japanese is の. For a difference in usage see this question.

share|improve this answer
[verb]のは難しいです: Not to be confused with 連用形+にくい. –  istrasci Oct 21 '13 at 19:27

Very nice job breaking it into the syntax and semantics. –  Darius Jahandarie Oct 21 '13 at 21:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.