Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The following sentence means "seeing all the different foreign people was interesting."

This, according to my Japanese friends is incorrect:

色々な外国人を見ているは面白かった。

... and this is correct:

色々な外国人を見ているのは面白かった。

To me, the difference is so subtle that I can't really get a feel for how the presence of の really changes it.

Can someone provide an explanation that clarifies what makes の important in this situation?

Update: I'm actually still confused by this. Couldn't the first example mean "Looking at the various foreigners was interesting", and the second example mean "That I was looking at the various foreigners was interesting"?

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

up vote 7 down vote accepted

In this case, 「の」 changes the verb "to [be] see" into the gerund form "[be] seeing", which is what you found interesting. After that, 「は」 is just 「は」.

share|improve this answer
Ah, I misunderstood the gerund, nevermind. –  Louis Jun 19 '11 at 7:10
I think that the notation “[be] seeing” is confusing because it suggests that it is a progressive form instead of a gerund. It is probably better to just write “seeing.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 19 '11 at 15:17
A "gerund" is a verb that has been changed it into a noun that identifies the action the verb represents. "swim" -> "swimming", "look" -> "looking", etc. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 20 '11 at 5:14
English lacks the granularity to translate the 「~ている」 conjugation properly; translating it as "to be Xing" is the closest equivalent in English, but it is not actually the gerund. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 20 '11 at 7:29
in response to the 7th comment, i think 見ている is more of "am looking" instead of "looking" –  Pacerier Aug 29 '11 at 10:35

Actually both forms are correct. の is a recent development in Japanese, before it appeared, you'd use the 連体形(行く/熱い/綺麗な[る]/食べた[る]) directly before particles. An example can be seen here:

今宵は夜毎にこゝに集ひ來る骨牌(かるた)仲間も「ホテル」に宿りて、舟に殘れる**余一人のみなれば。

森鴎外 「舞姫」

You should still use の, though.

Nowadays, the omission of の is rather for verse i.e. writing stories, poems, etc. –  syockit Jul 15 '11 at 15:02

@syockit, that's true, but I've noticed some contemporary people clearly omitting の when speaking(no ん no nothing). What I don't know is whether that's because of pedantry or because of their dialect. I'd say it's the former. –  jbcreix Sep 1 '11 at 2:32
I don't know if it's called pedantry, but in speech, it's usually used in dramatic/empathic(emotional) sentences, like when complaining someone's behavior, or feeling sorry for a sad incident, etc. –  syockit Sep 2 '11 at 6:46
(In modern Japanese) zero-nominalization is common in some particular constructs (see japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/4489/…), but not in others. Omitting の in the example sentence will definitely mark you as a non-native speaker. –  dainichi Feb 28 '12 at 1:29

we use の when we are talking about the verb. It is like "to" or "-ing" in English.

By putting "の", your are making a nominal group from the proposition that precedes it, and you put the focus on the action (there is a nuance with "こと", which takes practice to feel). Then, since you made a nominal group, you need your usual particles after, such as は、 に、 or whatever is required.

Examples:
ケーキを食べるのが好きです。
I like to be eating a cake. (The fun is in the eating.)

ケーキを食べることが好きです。
I like to eat cakes. (Generality. I like cakes.)

外で子供が遊んでいるのにじゃまされました。
I have been disturbed by children playing outside. (The playing is the reason of the disturbance)

There is another のは form I've seen a lot, but here I think of it as changing everything before の into a noun, almost as if there is an invisible こと after it.

色々な外国人を見ているの[こと]は面白かった。

So it might be easier to digest if you see it as:

[名詞] は面白かった。 [noun] was amusing/interesting.

where [noun] is the act of looking at foreigners and [名詞] is 色々な外国人を見ているのこと.

There's probably something wrong with this (it got downvoted). –  Louis Jun 19 '11 at 15:07

I don't think it's fundamentally wrong, but it's essentially a duplicate of what @ignacio said: as you both point out, 'の' nominalises a phrase. (PS: I'm not the one who downvoted your answer) –  Dave Jun 19 '11 at 15:39

I thought の and こと did the same thing, but one normalizer is more formal/polite than the other. I don't think I've seen のこと (but I'm hardly an authoritative source). –  Troyen Jun 19 '11 at 21:22

Yeah, I'm not sure if you can do that either. I thought it was just a clear way to show that all of that stuff before の is a noun. –  Louis Jun 20 '11 at 0:35

I believe that using verb+「こと」 makes it into a situation where the action is happening, whereas verb+「の」 means the act itself. Verb+「のこと」 is a grammatical error since 「の」 in this case is not used to bind the preceding to the following. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 20 '11 at 1:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.