Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I've come to learn that something + だね means something along the lines of "Is it __?" with an expected yes answer. I received this kind of comment as a response to a photo I posted on the internet. What are some common/friendly ways to respond to this?

share|improve this question
That all depends on how you want to answer it. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Oct 20 '13 at 12:49
In spoken language, one often uses うん、そうだね. On the internet, this feels a bit too content-deprived. To give "common/friendly ways to respond" maybe you can give (or make up) some context, i.e. provide a full sentence that ends in ~だね. If the comment was only "だね", then I think no response is needed, but only shows agreement on part of the commenter. –  Earthliŋ Oct 20 '13 at 12:55
I'm voting to close this as too broad. Any answer would depend on the exactly question being asked as そうだね isn't really appropriate for everything and it's a lame answer, but anything else would depend on context. –  ssb Oct 20 '13 at 16:21
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think ね is sort of rhetorical, and I'd only answer it if I was talking to someone in person. Even then, the answer would probably be something perfunctory like そうだ, just to feign attentiveness ;)

I could be wrong; I learned this from Tae Kim, so you can check out that reference and see if it helps. Also, the example sentences at Tangorin and Jim Breen's WWWJDIC come off as making it sound rhetorical/for flavor, in the same category as よ and ざ.

share|improve this answer
What is ざ? .... –  Earthliŋ Oct 20 '13 at 23:37
そうだ sounds pretty curt. –  Tokyo Nagoya Oct 20 '13 at 23:51

@Earthling Oops, I meant ぞ. –  user2845306 Oct 21 '13 at 11:13

@TokyoNagoya I'm really not the best at politeness. This may have been the wrong question for someone like me to answer... –  user2845306 Oct 21 '13 at 11:15
add comment

I think it would depend on the context. For example, if someone commented to my photo:

これ、プードルだね。It's a poodle, right?
インドカレーだね。It's Indian curry, isn't it?
あ、ディズニーランド(に行ったん)だね!Ah you've been to Disneyland?

then I would respond:

うん!/はい!/ そうよ。/ そうだよ。Yes.
そうよ、かわいいでしょ。Yes, isn't it cute?
はい、おいしかったです!Yes, it was yummy!
うん。楽しかったよ。Yes, I had so much fun. etc...

If someone commented:

オシャレ/ステキだね。It's so fashionable/cool.
ハンサム/イケメン/美人だね。You look so handsome/pretty.
かわいいプードルだね。Your poodle is so cute!
かっこいい車だね。What a nice car!
(to the food I prepared) おいしそうなカレーだね。Your curry looks yummy.
etc...

then I would respond like:

そう?ありがとう!/ ほんと?ありがとう!^^ Really? Thank you!

If someone said:

そっくりだね。You two look so alike.
珍しい花だね。It's an exotic flower, isn't it.
変な動物だね。It's a strange animal, isn't it.

then I would say

そうでしょ。/ そうね。(feminine) / そうだね。(masculine) Yes, I know.
そう?Oh really?

etc etc...

A:[美味]{うま}草{そう}~  B:[草]{そう}[種]{だね}、一緒に食べよう! –  Yang Muye Mar 16 at 9:08

[馬]{うま}[烏賊]{いか}~ [馬]{うま}い[象]{ぞう}~ ・・・何のゲーム? –  Chocolate Mar 17 at 2:42

リアクションに悩むわ、このやり取り・・ –  Tokyo Nagoya Mar 18 at 3:14
@TokyoNagoya [01414]{おいしいよ}~ [1442]{いっしょに} [91780]{くいなはれ}. –  Chocolate Mar 19 at 13:58
add comment

You're right about the expected "yes" answer. 「何々だね。」 is a rhetorical question, and a full answer is not expected. ね is a sentence ending particle that changes a statement into a rhetorical question. だ is the casual copula used with nouns or な-adjectives.

The asker is usually mentioning something they think (subjectively) and they expect you to agree with their thoughts. Answering with 「あっ、そう。」or 「うん、そう。」 or even simply 「そう。」 would work as a general answer.

It is also common to respond by repeating the statement asked. For example:

Aさん:今日は寒いね? (Today is cold, isn't it?)

Bさん:うん、寒い。(Yes, it is cold.)

Unfortunately I don't have enough rep to comment, so I attempted a full answer. This answer comes from my limited experience, so please correct me if I am wrong.

「あっ、そう」「うん、そう」 「そう」 They seem pretty provocative for those who appreciate your photos. そうですね is safer. (Sorry for off topic, but you don't need 。 before 」) –  user4092 Mar 16 at 8:04
I think it's okay to put a 。 before a 」... 「~~だね」「~~だね。」「そうだね」「そうだね。」--- 別にどっちでも。。。 –  Chocolate Mar 16 at 14:23
add comment

For a male speaker, if you're in a casual setting and just want to agree and keep the conversation going: だよなぁ〜。

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.