Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Plenty of kanji are symmetrical on the y-axis and x-axis. Plenty of kanji are symmetrical only on the y-axis.

What are some kanji that are only symmetrical on the x-axis? I don't know one.

What kanji change into another kanji when they are rotated and/or flipped? Here is one that I know:
干 -- flip --> 士

share|improve this question
「曰」. Which is not the same as 「日」. Also, 「人」 is not symmetrical, only its gothic form is (its mirror is 「入」). –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Oct 19 '13 at 1:57
Sometimes symmetry depends on how you write them. I've seen people write 女 in a way that's left-right symmetrical, for example. –  snailboat Oct 19 '13 at 3:53

@snailboat: You mean when it looks like without the lower horizontal stroke, and strokes barely cross at the bottom right corner? –  istrasci Oct 19 '13 at 22:00

@kinyo: FYI, flipping vertically is not the same rotating 180°. Those two actions will only produce the same result if the character is symmetric about the vertical axis. Rotating the letter N by 180° will give the same letter, but flipping it vertically will give и . –  istrasci Oct 19 '13 at 22:18
@istrasci Ah, I saw the near-symmetrical 女 again and I took a picture! i.stack.imgur.com/CyTar.png –  snailboat Oct 29 '13 at 21:32

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Here's two that have just horizontal symmetry, at least in some fonts: 旧 咺

share|improve this answer

巨 臣 排 区 州 唱, etc. but this is for fun only. Some are not as symetrical as others.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.