Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is 許せ【ゆるせ】 something that's said? I heard from a friend that it is used to mean forgive me, but I find the use of the imperative in such a way to be strange.

share|improve this question

The only example of this in SpaceALC is: 汝以外のすべての者を許せよ。|Forgive all but thyself.〔ことわざ〕 –  Tim Oct 17 '13 at 14:11

I've seen it in fiction when there's familiarity and the thing to be forgiven is minor. –  Hyperworm Oct 17 '13 at 14:31
youtube.com/watch?v=EJJUErHmsHc at 0m54s 許せサスケ... また今度だ。 –  jovanni Oct 18 '13 at 1:17
add comment

1 Answer 1

It is not strange at all. It appears to me that many Japanese-learners let the translated English words bother them too much. Then again, the same happens when we Japanese learn foreign languages as well.

許せ is very often used in informal speech among close friends as a sort of "tough-guy speech". It is heard most often from young male speakers. Using the politer forms can only sound out of place in certain situations, and I really do not think it is a Japan-only phenomenon.

share|improve this answer
Edited just to fix one single typo... 許せ! –  Choko Oct 18 '13 at 10:43
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.