Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How many syllables are there totally? Is there any complete list?

Update: Yes, a list of all sounds would be great.

This is what I had to start with http://www.bnb32.com/images/katakana.gif

And then I found more variations/dimensions to that list 1. Long vowels: ā 2 Double consonant: ッ 3. Some dot between letters · 4. This one: ' 5. And this ~

...continuing to search for more

share|improve this question
Visit our resource page on meta. –  Flaw Oct 13 '13 at 10:04
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about basics that somebody genuinely learning the language, as opposed to looking for the answer to a casual question, has already covered. –  Tim Oct 13 '13 at 13:55
@snailboat I believe that the OP is asking "How many sounds does Japanese use" in reference to the hiragana and katakana alphabets. If this is the case, the resources may be found quite readily. –  user4060 Oct 15 '13 at 20:32
You may be confusing characters which denote sounds and other punctuation symbols, and you may also be confusing characters used in Japanese and characters used in romanization of Japanese. Also note that since a language evolves, an exhaustive list of morae is probably not well-defined. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 17 '13 at 23:37
add comment

closed as off-topic by Ataraxia, Earthliŋ, Dono, snailboat Oct 21 '13 at 13:25

• This question does not appear to be about the Japanese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.