Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend of mine told me that he heard うくれ or 受けれ was slang for funny (He said it was suppose to be "we accept"). I don't really know much more that that so I'm having trouble finding it online-does anyone have ideas what it could have been?

share|improve this question
Hmm... 受ける(うける/ukeru)...? zokugo-dict.com/03u/ukeru.htm –  Chocolate Oct 12 '13 at 6:18
FYI, the antonym is スベる or すべる. Adding this because while I have met a few Japanese learners who knew the word ウケる, almost none of them knew its antonym. –  Tokyo Nagoya Oct 16 '13 at 2:26
add comment

1 Answer

I think your friend has picked up the use of 受ける which can be used to say popular or in the sense of "the joke carried". This is one the many uses of 受ける. I took the following as set phrases to learn this use, from 総まとめN1語彙 (p92):

若者に受ける映画 |movie that is very popular among young people

ギャッグがウケなかった|the joke did not go down very well

ウケがいい|very popular

The following examples came from the dictionary on my Apple computer:

1) 彼の推理小説は学生に大いに受けている|

His detective stories are extremely popular with [among] students.

2) 彼のしゃれはインテリの間で受けた

|His witticisms gained [earned] him popularity among the intelligentsia.

3) そのミュージカルは非常に受けた|The musical was a great hit.

4) 彼女のパーティーはお客に受けた|Her party [was a success / went over well] with the guests.

5) 彼のだじゃれは一般大衆に大いに受けている|His gags [have caught the public fancy / appeal to the public].

6) その芝居は全く受けなかった|That play was a complete flop [failure].

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.