A friend of mine told me that he heard うくれ or 受けれ was slang for funny (He said it was suppose to be "we accept"). I don't really know much more that that so I'm having trouble finding it online-does anyone have ideas what it could have been?
- Anybody can ask a question
- Anybody can answer
- The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
I think your friend has picked up the use of 受ける which can be used to say popular or in the sense of "the joke carried". This is one the many uses of 受ける. I took the following as set phrases to learn this use, from 総まとめN１語彙 (p92)：
The following examples came from the dictionary on my Apple computer:
His detective stories are extremely popular with [among] students.
｜His witticisms gained [earned] him popularity among the intelligentsia.
3) そのミュージカルは非常に受けた｜The musical was a great hit.
4) 彼女のパーティーはお客に受けた｜Her party [was a success / went over well] with the guests.
5) 彼のだじゃれは一般大衆に大いに受けている｜His gags [have caught the public fancy / appeal to the public].
6) その芝居は全く受けなかった｜That play was a complete flop [failure].