Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm confused in ように in the following sentence. Maybe it connects to 聞こえる or maybe means "in order to" ? I'm not sure about it here.

Some sort of translation: "Conversations in this period of time means, that they are taking the opportunity to clear the gloom from exams studying, the fact that it sounds a bit unnatural maybe is my imagination."

この時期の会話というのは、受験勉強の鬱屈【うっ・くつ】をここぞとばかりに晴らそうとするように、妙にキンキンと聞こえるのは気のせいだろうか。

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I believe it is a split apart ~ように聞こえる (sounds like ~ / sounds as if ~).

聞こえる is modified twice, once by the clause ending in ように, and once again by 妙にキンキンと.

この時期の会話というのは、受験勉強の鬱屈をここぞとばかりに晴らそうとするように、妙にキンキンと聞こえるのは気のせいだろうか。 The(se things called) conversations around this period, I wonder if it is my imagination that they sound unnaturally shrill, and like/as if they are an attempt to eagerly snatch at the opportunity to clear up the gloom of studying for exams.

share|improve this answer

Everyone, thank you very much! –  DarkAkira Oct 12 '13 at 5:18

The meaning seems to be:

About this period's conversation, its meaning is that, "I wonder whether hearing the 'kin kin' (piercing, metallic sound) exactly in the right moment, such that it cleared up my exam-studying gloom, was just imagination."

The するように is a device for expressing that the sound's effect was such as to clear up the gloom.

share|improve this answer

Potentially useful link. –  Kaz Oct 11 '13 at 22:18

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.