Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There's a sentence in my textbook.

子供の時から今までを振り返って男あるいは女に生まれて、Aよかったと思った/思うこと、B嫌いだと思った/思うこと、を三つずつ書いてください

男あるいは女に生まれて、 This is the part in particular I don't understand... I read it as... "Born by a man, or possibly a woman..." Why would it say that? Is it supposed to be read "Born AS a man or possibly a woman?"

Don't tell me that 女に生まれる has two meanings!!! It means born by right? に is supposed to be actor of the passive action right? Like 巨人に食べられた。... Or am I somehow wrong.

share|improve this question

So out of curiosity, what does the OP's sentence mean? How does 男あるいは女に生まれて fit into my attempt at the translation: "Looking back from childhood to present, please write down for each case three examples of things/events A) you like/liked B) you don't or didn't like." Adding "born as a male or female" seems a bit pointless? –  Mobius Pizza Oct 10 '13 at 14:56
@MobiusPizza: It means three things you liked about and three things you didn't like; specifically about being a male/female. Not just three arbitrary things. Ex: "As a young boy, I liked not having to wear dresses. I hated having to hold the door open for older women though." –  istrasci Oct 10 '13 at 15:21

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Xに生まれる is syntactically ambiguous between:

1. Born as a X

• 女に生まれる (be born as a woman)
  2. Born to a X

• 裕福な家庭に生まれる (be born to a wealthy family)  
    • 女に生まれる (be born to a woman)

For (1), think of adverb+verb. (E.g. Run quickly) ( ✕ Born woman-ly → ◯ born as a woman)

And for (2) think of a intransitive verb acting with a indirect object (e.g. Bob lied(verb) to Mary(indirect object))

share|improve this answer
Thankyou.... Damn particles... Whenever I start to think I understand them.... more exceptions... everywhere... It's impossible :( –  Nathan Oct 10 '13 at 12:54
@Nathan Same problems in English. By sunrise, everyone will know he was killed by a bullet, fighting by the side of his comrades. –  Kaz Oct 11 '13 at 21:23

Yeah... you are right :(... I will prevail thanks for the wake up call! –  Nathan Oct 13 '13 at 0:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.