Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

ぬかるむ has the definition of "to be muddy" in my dictionary, but it is a verb. Furthermore, all the examples use it before a noun, as opposed to saying 丘はぬかるむ. Is it correct to say this? Why is ぬかるむ a verb, and not an adjective, or rather can someone explain the possible mentality that went into ascribing the characteristic of being muddy to being a verb as opposed to an adjective?

share|improve this question
A verb can indicate a state. Does your leg itch, or is your leg itchy? What's the difference, besides one being an adjective and one being a verb? –  snailboat Oct 10 '13 at 15:11

This is true- still though I feel like this occurs more in Japanese-that is, more descriptions are held in verbs. –  Anthony Oct 11 '13 at 3:03

I am not sure what you mean by “all the examples use it before a noun, as opposed to saying 丘はぬかるむ.” Can you elaborate? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 18 '13 at 16:52

For example, it is usual to say 道がぬかるんでいて歩きにくい. Does this count as a counterexample? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 18 '13 at 16:59

@TsuyoshiIto- Yeah, I still don't understand the verb though. Saying it as you did makes it sound like the street is muddy, so it's hard to walk. If that's the case, then what does 道がぬかるんでから歩きにくい mean? I don't know what something besides the gerund would mean, and I still find it hard to understand verbs of this form-that are adjectives in English. –  Anthony Oct 18 '13 at 23:51
add comment

1 Answer

When you try to walk on a muddy road, the mud makes it difficult to walk across. In other words, the muddy road is bothering you. ぬかるむ is a word implicitly meaning "directly bothering".

Because hills do not directly bother you (maybe the road is what it's directly bothering), 丘はぬかるむ is grammatically correct, but is a strange expression.

share|improve this answer
Does it really mean to bother? I can't find that anywhere. –  Anthony Oct 11 '13 at 3:12

ぬかるむ has no meanings of bothering implicitely or explicitely. I wonder 丘はぬかるむ is used in a context like 「[春]{はる}[来]{きた}りて、[雪]{ゆき}は[融]{と}け、丘はぬかるむ」. usage of は or む in this phrase sounds a bit classical and lylical. –  jovanni Oct 17 '13 at 8:41
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.