Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to understand the following clearly:

私のこと 私のもの 私のやつ

When someone is talking about us, we can use こと。 ”いいえ、それは私のことではないです” - No, that is not something related to me.

やつis used when we talk about something physical like bag book etc 例 これはあなたの財布ですか? いいえ、私のやつではないです。

I am not sure on how to use わたしのもの

Could someone clarify ?

share|improve this question

Might be a step on the way: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2102/… –  dainichi Oct 9 '13 at 9:28
The meaning of それは私のことではない is more like “That is not (about) me” than “That is not something related to me.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 19 '13 at 22:26
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Where did you see 「いいえ、私のやつではないです。」? Almost no one would say that in real life because 私のやつ is collocationally constrained. やつ sounds fairly slangy and mannish, so it does not sound natural to combine it with 私. One will, however, occasionally hear オレのやつ or even ボクのやつ, both meaning "mine" when both the speaker and listener know exactly what item they are talking about.

Native speakers will just use 私の without a noun following it since 私の, in this particular context, already means "mine" instead of "my".

「私のではありません。」 = "It is not mine." More literally, "It is not my belonging."

In the sentence above, the 私の part can be replaced with 私のもの but just using 私の would be a more natural choice for us native speakers. もの may be added when wanting to emphasize that the item belongs to no one but to you yourself.

share|improve this answer
add comment

もの: physical thing/object, like a book.
こと: non physical thing, like a fact or an idea.
やつ:physical thing or person. (familiar)

私のこと: me/things related to me.
私のもの/私のやつ: my property.

share|improve this answer
私のこと often just means "me". –  dainichi Oct 9 '13 at 9:21
私のこと often just means "me". Here's the post on that in case anyone's looking for it. –  istrasci Oct 9 '13 at 14:34

There is also the case that もの may refer to one of two separate words: 物, which is equivalent to 'a thing'. And 者, which is a slightly formal version of 人, which means 'a person'. –  user4060 Oct 15 '13 at 20:17
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.