Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my Japanese Bible, I've seen several passages that use the phrase かの日. Here are a couple.

• ある人たちの習慣に倣【なら】って集会を怠【なまけ】ったりせず、むしろ励【はげ】まし合いましょう。かの日が近づいているのをあなたがたは知っているのですから、ますます励【はげ】まし合おうではありませんか。 - ヘブライ人への手紙 / 10章 25節
  • かの日には、大勢の者がわたしに、『主よ、主よ、わたしたちは御名【み・な】によって預言【よ・げん】し、御名【み・な】によって悪霊【あく・りょう】を追い出し、御名【み・な】によって奇跡をいろいろ行ったではありませんか』と言うであろう。  - マタイによる福音書【ふく・いん・しょ】 / 7章 22節
  • かの日、主が来られるとき、主は御自分の聖なる者たちの間であがめられ、また、すべて信じる者たちの間でほめたたえられるのです。それは、あなたがたがわたしたちのもたらした証【あか】しを信じたからです。  - テサロニケの信徒への手紙二 / 1章 10節

I haven't been able to find the exact phrase in any dictionary. The best I can theorize is that it is 彼【か】の, which is basically the same as その or あの. So it would be something like "On that day..."

Is this correct? If so, is it some literary term? What advantage does it have over その or あの? If not (correct), what is it?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

No, 彼【か】の isn't basically the same as 其【そ】の, but it is basically the same as 彼【あ】の, except that it's older and no longer used as much. In short, か became あ.

かの is preserved in some modern words and phrases:

• かの女【おんな】 became かの女【じょ】 and stuck around (rather than becoming あの女【おんな】). Of course, you usually see this written 彼女, with the genitive の left unwritten.
  • かの有名な still comes up, I think as a set phrase (rather than あの有名な)

But mostly it's just an old form of あの. So かの日 means あの日, but it sounds older.

share|improve this answer

I thought the かの in かの女 was 彼? –  Ataraxia Oct 8 '13 at 11:00

@Ataraxia Indeed, so is the かの in the かの日 above! By the way, the kanji for both あの and かの is 彼の (hardly used in formal setting though). –  syockit Oct 8 '13 at 13:17

Snailboat: Can I suggest you incorporate these comments on 彼女 into your answer to make it a killer? –  Tim Oct 8 '13 at 13:33

@Tim I added some kanji and a note about 彼女. Hopefully it's clearer now :-) –  snailboat Oct 8 '13 at 17:59

かの日=the day you know [岩波]{いわなみ}[国語]{こくご}[辞典]{じてん}[第]{だい}三[版]{ぱん} says かの means 「あの」③, and 「あの」③ is 今の[時点]{じてん}とは[離]{はな}れているが[相手]{あいて}も[知]{し}っている[事柄]{ことがら}に[関係]{かんけい}する[意]{い}を[表]{あ‌​らわ}す[語]{ご} KJV's translation of Heb 10:25 is 'as ye see the day approaching. ' –  jovanni Oct 14 '13 at 11:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.