Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I thought if you say "I don't smoke cigarettes" that would be "[Watashi wa] tabako o suimasen". But I just saw something that said it would be "tabako wa suimasen". Are they interchangable? Is there a difference?

share|improve this question
People also say 私はタバコは吸いません, with two はs. –  snailboat Oct 8 '13 at 4:18

が can be replaced by は when emphasizing –  Lưu Vĩnh Phúc Oct 8 '13 at 5:28
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are actually three options.

1. [タバコを吸いません]{LLLLLLLLL}
    tobacco-OBJ smoke-NEG-POLITE
    "I don't smoke tobacco."

2. [タバコは吸いません]{LLLLLLLLL}
    tobacco-TOP smoke-NEG-POLITE
    "I don't smoke tobacco."

3. [タバコは吸いません]{LLLHLLLLL}
    tobacco-CON smoke-NEG-POLITE
    "I don't smoke tobacco, (but I do smoke something else)."

1 and 2, (marking タバコ with the object marker and topic marker, respectively), are semantically the same.

However, 3 (marking タバコ with the contrastive marker, which is also は but has a raised pitch) has the implication that you smoke something else.

So, to answer your question, for a transitive verb, marking the object with を or は both always work (assuming that you aren't constructing an embedded clause), but depending on how は is pronounced, it can potentially have the contrastive meaning.

share|improve this answer

"assuming that you aren't constructing an embedded clause"... well since we're on the subject, how would the sentence look if that was the case (in an embedded sentence)? –  dotnetN00b Oct 8 '13 at 4:29

(2) is not possible in an embedded clause, (1) and (3) are. That means you need to use を if you don't want the contrastive reading. –  Darius Jahandarie Oct 8 '13 at 4:37

And while I'm at it, the example @snailboat gave, 私はタバコは吸いません is using the contrastive marker to mark タバコ (because after the first は, following はs must be contrastive). –  Darius Jahandarie Oct 8 '13 at 4:45

I disagree with your pitch on #3. タバコはすいません【HHHLLLLLL】 to emphasize "tobacco" (just as you did with the italics in the English) seems more correct. But maybe that's a regional thing. –  istrasci Oct 8 '13 at 17:16
I found a couple of articles that talk about stressing the contrastive marker は. I've heard it this way but I can't say if that's the same as raised pitch, as I am not a native speaker. jlptbootcamp.com/2012/02/japanese-particles-the-contrastive-wa phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/reiko/Proceedings-WAFL5.pdf –  user3169 Oct 8 '13 at 20:05
show 4 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.