Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The class I go to uses the «Minna no Nihongo» textbook, and according to it you can say the following in informal language:

そのカレーライスおいしい?

わたしは富士山にのぼりたい。

(See book 1, lesson 20)

So I gathered, the copula can be omitted in adjective-like predicates. However, when I posted on Lang-8 applying the new-found knowledge, people corrected me:

ドイツはいちども行ったことがないから、ずっと行きたかった行きたかったんだ or 行きたかっです

Hence, the question: why だ/です is necessary here? What's the general rule?

share|improve this question

私はご飯を食べます also doesn't have a copula, but is standard (textbook) Japanese. I think you are confused about the term "copula". If you are asking whether every sentence needs an instance of だ or です, the above sentence already gives a counter example... –  Earthliŋ Oct 5 '13 at 22:09

食べます being a full verb predicate doesn't need a copula. A copula, as I understand, is a verb to make predicates out of non-verbs like adjectives and nouns. E.g. Snow is white – "is white" is a predicate. –  katspaugh Oct 5 '13 at 22:24
I see. So-called i-adjectives are also called adjectival verbs (or verbal adjectives) sometimes, because they can be inflected and (contrary to na-adjectives, also called adj. nouns or nominal adj.) they don't need a copula... –  Earthliŋ Oct 5 '13 at 22:52

@Earthling, どうもありがとう、分かりました! –  katspaugh Oct 5 '13 at 23:04
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think the confusion arises because です can both replace だ as the copula (行きたかったんです), or simply mark politeness (行きたかったです).

The correction you received has little to do with a grammatical need for だ or です in a sentence, but rather the two improved versions sound more natural.

Grammatically speaking,

ドイツはいちども行ったことがないから、ずっと行きたかった。

is perfectly fine.

You need a copula when you have a noun predicate. 行きたかったんだ needs だ because ん nominalizes the preceding phrase. 行きたかった alone doesn't need a copula, but may be marked with です for a more polite tone.

Your original sentence could be amended to

ドイツはいちども行ったことがなかったから、ずっと行きたかった~
I had never been to Germany and had been longing to go...

in which case you don't need んだ or です.

share|improve this answer

Comprehended your answer after the second rereading. Thank you! –  katspaugh Oct 5 '13 at 22:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.