Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to translate a sentence containing "which one of you" into Japanese, like in "Which one of you took my sandwich?".

Google's search bar was no help - a query for "which one of you" in Japanese gave me あなたのその1, which seems to mean "the first of you", and the page results were all for results that simply contained "which one of you" and "Japanese" on the same page.

It seems like it would be something like "あなたたちにどの人" (which person among you), but as I'm not experienced, I don't know if that's the correct form.

I don't want something as general as "誰" (who), because I want to refer to a specific group of people.

share|improve this question
I'm not a native speaker, so I might not say things the best way... but I probably would say 誰, trusting context to make it obvious which set of people I was asking about. –  snailboat Oct 5 '13 at 12:37
Is dono hito acceptable? –  dotnetN00b Oct 6 '13 at 1:55

I'm trying to put emphasis on the "among you" part. –  Joe Z. Oct 8 '13 at 3:06
add comment

1 Answer

Try to translate meaning, not words. Towards doing this, think of 2 or 3 different ways express what you want to say in English. Match those against your understanding of Japanese grammar. btw: Fight hard not to use second person pronouns. Avoiding them sounds more natural, but also pushes one further away from direct word translations.

share|improve this answer
This. Translating "which one of you" exactly is unnecessary. "Of you" implies that you're talking directly to the group of "suspects". So all you really need is "who took my sandwich" (誰がサンドイッチ盗んだ【ぬすんだ】んだ!) and it's pretty much implied you're only talking to the suspects. –  istrasci Oct 5 '13 at 17:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.