Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd thought you cannot end a sentence with a noun. Rather:
noun + だ。
noun + です。
noun + である。
noun + であります。
noun + でございます。

But in a movie dialogue, I heard: "大切なのは、心よ。"

Ending a sentence with a noun sounds weird. In every situation, I add "です" (or でございます). But, what is "よ"? a 助詞?Does it effect whether to voice the "です"?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think it's the usual 終助詞「よ」 (sentence-final particle よ). What I've read is that it attaches directly to nouns in so-called 女性語 (feminine speech). I think it's often used in stereotyped dialogue in fiction, so it's also an example of 役割語 (role words)--though I don't mean to imply that it's only used in fiction, or only by women for that matter!

Wikipedia's article for 女性語 says:

よ 【終助詞】 「わ」と並んで多用される女性語。「ね」と同様、「そうよ」「きれいよ」など体言に直接続く形式は女性的とされる。ただし、「よ」を下降調で伸ばしながら発音すると、「あっしは神田の生まれよォ」のような男性的な表現になる。

I've bolded the relevant part for emphasis, which I'll translate loosely here:

In the same way that ね attaches directly to uninflected words, so can よ, as in the examples 「そうよ」 and 「きれいよ」. This use of よ is considered feminine.

The dictionary 大辞泉 also talks about this use of よ:

現代語では、終止形に付く場合、男性語としてはその終止形に直に下接するが、女性語では「のよ」「わよ」「ことよ」「てよ」などの形で、また、名詞、形容動詞の語幹に付いて、用いられることが多い。

Again, I've bolded the relevant part for emphasis, and I'll do my best to translate it:

In women's language, it is often used in forms such as 「のよ」「わよ」「ことよ」「てよ」, as well as attaching directly to nouns, including adjectival nouns.

Note: I changed the translation slightly at the end to say "adjectival noun" in place of 形容動詞の語幹, because the root of a 形容動詞 is simply called a na-adjective in the grammar that is usually taught to non-native speakers. The dictionary says it this way because, in traditional Japanese grammar, the combination of a na-adjective plus an inflectional ending such as だ or な is considered a single word.

At the end of your question, you ask if です is omitted before よ. I think you can analyze it that way, sure. Except I'd usually assume it's だ that's omitted, not です.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.