Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Well I didn't know how to title this question, but I'd like help with this passage.

It is from the workbook 日本語総まとめN2

「もちろん、試合前の練習や表情、試合後の様子などを知りたくないなどというつもりはありませんが、なるべく試合だけに集中できるよう、ファンへのサービスに気をつかわなくてもいいようにそっとしてあげられたら、と思わずにはいられないのです。」

The first part seems clear to me: "It's not that I don't wanna know about the conditions before or after the game or anything" (Rough Translation). The second part is what baffles me. In my understanding, the person is saying that he cannot help imagining it would be good (?) if he could let the players know they don't have to worry about fan service in order to focus on the game as much as possible. Is that, to some extent, correct?

If not, what would be the meaning of this structure, to be more especific:

ようにそっとする.

I know そっとする means roughly 'leave alone', but I've tried searching examples of it in combination of ように and couldn't find any

And also, what nuance does たらと思います brings?

Sorry if that's too much and thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Your example doesn't contain たらと思います in it. So, I don't address this phrase. If the original passage doesn't have it, probably stachexchange wants you to start another question thread because it's totally unrelated.

Also, I think "集中できろよう" should read "集中できるよう."

So, ように here roughly means "in a way that," "such that," "so that" or the like. It might help you put a comma between ように and そっとしてあげたら. For example,

Aをしなくてもいいように、そっとしてあげる

roughly means "to leave him alone so he doesn't have to do A." I think the rest of your interpretation is fine.

share|improve this answer

well it doesn't contain たらと思います persay, but it does contain たらと思わずにはいられない、which, regardless of the use of the expression ずにはいられない, still contains the construction [conditional たら + quote particle + verb of imagining/thinking]. Or did I get it all wrong? –  Rodrigo Pará Sep 30 '13 at 21:31

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.