Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So my name is written Anibal, I'm from Brazil, just so you know. I'd like to know how would you write it in japanese, I'm in doubt between A-ni-ba-ru and A-ni-ba-e-ru. Any further explanation would be much appreciated.

share|improve this question
Audio of someone pronouncing your name would be helpful for people who don't know how Portuguese(?) vowels sound. (Alternatively, a phonemic transcription, if you know how to do that.) –  senshin Sep 26 '13 at 0:55
Thanks a lot for the answers! That was bugging me for weeks. I'm using this website for the first time and I really hope I'm using it correctly. Will look forward to using it more often. Again, thanks a lot for the explanations. –  Anibal Sep 26 '13 at 1:19

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

For this kind of question, you can start by seeing how other people spell it. I searched the Japanese Wikipedia for Anibal. Here were the top two results:

How you transcribe a name usually depends on its pronunciation, not its spelling, so it's possible that an Anibal from a different region would have a different transcription. But you said you're from Brazil, and so is the second person I linked to above, so it seems reasonable to spell your name the same way as his. And that's true regardless of whether it's based on spelling or pronunciation--following convention in transcribing names is usually a good thing. So based on this, I think アニバル seems like a good spelling.

If you can't read katakana, that's A-ni-ba-ru, just like your first guess. That would usually be written without hyphens, so it's Anibaru.

share|improve this answer

I think アニバル is the generic Japanese transcription based on ローマ字 alone, not based on pronunciation. –  Earthliŋ Sep 26 '13 at 15:07

@Earthling Oh, I see. Well, I'll leave my answer up, because I think following convention is probably a good thing. It seems that アニバル is a lot more common than アニバウ. But maybe I should rephrase my answer to emphasize that. –  snailboat Sep 26 '13 at 15:21

As far as I know, the final L is pronounced [u], so that Anibal could also be アニバウ (A-ni-ba-u), which represents the pronunciation more faithfully than アニバル (which sounds more like Anibaru, when pronounced as a Portuguese speaker would).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.