Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCORe7qs0Sk at 3:13 the man on the left saying something to show gratitude. it's not arigatou gozaimasu or domo arigatou, or something like that. it's sounds like "koteii ni domo" I can't find it in any dictionary.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

ご丁寧にどうも
(Go-teinei ni doumo)

Thank you. That's very thoughtful of you.

share|improve this answer

I thought 丁寧 meant polite? Why isn't it "thank you for being polite"? –  Ataraxia Sep 25 '13 at 13:45

It can mean polite, but also something done with thoughtfulness/consideration to detail (e.g. 丁寧にアイロンをかける). –  nkjt Sep 25 '13 at 14:41

Politeness and thoughtfulness are not mutually exclusive; and being polite may include being considerate to details. The definition from Meikyou helps me understand how these two concepts are related: (a) 隅ずみまで注意が行き届き、落度の無いことを期待する様子。(b) 相手の△立場(気持)を考えて、真心のこもった応対をする様子。 –  blutorange Sep 25 '13 at 19:49
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.