Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My Japanese teacher told me there is no shorter way to say 自動販売機{じどうはんばいき}. However, I found 自販機{じはんき} in my dictionary. Does a word (including slang) for "vending machine" shorter than four morae exist?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Just 自販 without the 機 is quite common.

share|improve this answer

Is it new Internet slang? or 若者言葉? –  Choko Oct 16 '13 at 2:47

@Chocolate, from you and TokyoNagoya's comments, it seems obvious that this is not as common as I thought. On the other hand, searching on Google, I'm fairly convinced that there are enough cases that it can't be ascribed to typos. I think I personally picked it up more than 10 years ago in a non-internet context in the Tokyo area. –  dainichi Oct 16 '13 at 7:27

「若者言葉」かも?TokyoNagoyaさんは若者じゃないからきっと知らな((殴 –  Choko Oct 16 '13 at 8:20

The wikipedia article for 自動販売機 confirms that 自販機 can be used as a short form but doesn't list any other variants. 販売機{はんばいき} is another option.

The only slang term I know is ガチャ for those capsule vending machines (with little toys or something inside).

Never heard or seen 自販 used as a shortened form of 自動販売機 or 自販機. (I have lived half of my life in Tokyo and the other half in Nagoya, and I am a Japanese-speaker to begin with.) The only times I have heard/seen 自販 have been when it was used to mean a "car dealer" (short for 自動車販売). I am more than curious to find out why that answer has so many upvotes.  

There are many examples on the internet, e.g. google.com/search?q=%22%E8%87%AA%E8%B2%A9%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%8A%22, but given that people don't agree with me that this is common, I'm wondering if its usage is limited in area of time. –  dainichi Oct 16 '13 at 5:53

@dainichi でも4ページ目まで行くと、こうなっちゃうんですよ・・・   Googleの謎・・・ –  Choko Oct 16 '13 at 6:22

@Chocolate さん、「自動販売機の上」というシチュエーションが限られているからじゃないでしょうか。「の上」をつけたのは、「自動車販売」や「自動販売」じゃなく、「自動販売機」の‌​ケースを見つけるためです。"自販機の上"で検索しても、結局243件しか見つかりません。もっといい検索方法があれば教えて下さい。 –  dainichi Oct 16 '13 at 6:54

It seems to be accepted by at least some dictionaries, .e.g. weblio.jp/content/%E8%87%AA%E8%B2%A9, that 自販 can be short for 自動販売. My claim that it can be short for 自動販売機 is only based on what I can find on Google and personal experience. –  dainichi Oct 16 '13 at 7:03

"自販が"でググると1万以上ヒットしますけど、結構「自動車販売」の意味が多いし・・・ここ (ところで、その辞‌​書、「自動販売の略」って書いてあるし・・・「自動販売機」じゃなく・・・) –  Choko Oct 16 '13 at 8:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.