Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm confused in 「に作られた」 in the following sentence. Kindly explain this part to me.

「Central Base」とは、旧「アクアポリス・中央エアポート」に作られた、「ASDF」の陸上(?)基地のことだ。

Some sort of translation:

1) Central base is, created by the old Aquapolice - Central airport, ASDF's land(?) base.

2) Central base is, created on the old Aquapolice - Central airport, ASDF's land(?) base. (However in this case I think that で would be more suitable)

The "(?)" is part of the original text.

Thank you very much for help!

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The reading as に to mark the agent of the passive construction is definitely syntactically possible, but a much more likely reading is the locative に, i.e. your second reading.

Why is it に and not で? で marks a place where an action happens, に marks a place where something "exists". There is definitely some overlap in usage, but で in this case sounds strange to me, as if "it was built there, but then moved somewhere else".

share|improve this answer

Oh! I'm glad you posted this. I really wanted it to be the locative reading, but my understanding was that it would have to be で in that case. Time for me to review に and で, I suppose! :-) –  snailboat Sep 21 '13 at 23:24

Yes, this answer is correct. –  execjosh Sep 22 '13 at 0:25

I should have read the question more carefully. This should have been my answer. –  Earthliŋ Sep 22 '13 at 8:11
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.