Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am just learning about the も particle and the textbook has examples like this:

やまださんはがくせいです。わたしもがくせいです。 Yamada is a student. I am also a student.

I am wondering whether the repetition of がくせいです is really necessary. Can I say something like:

やまださんはがくせいです。わたしもです。

or maybe

やまださんはがくせいです。わたしも。

The other question is whether も works with negative statements too. I.e. will the following be grammatical?

やまださんはせんせいではありません。わたしもせんせいではありません。

And the similar question of the possible contraction of this. Can I say

やまださんはせんせいではありません。 わたしもではありません。

Can I make it even shorter to say "Neither am I"?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can use the following expressions, as appropriate

私も。

私もです。

私もそうです。 私もそうだよ。

all of which roughly mean "me, too". These all work for negative and positive statements, except for a sentence like

山田さんは学生じゃありません。

in which case I find it more natural to say

私も学生じゃありません。

share|improve this answer
I don't think Xもです is grammatical. –  istrasci Sep 20 '13 at 14:51

@istrasci It's not, but it seems to be a common way (maybe best called slang) to say "me, too". –  Earthliŋ Sep 20 '13 at 16:50
@istrasci It seems too common to me to call it ungrammatical. –  snailboat Sep 20 '13 at 16:59

@snailboat: "Irregardless" is also common, but that doesn't make it a real word. To each his own I guess. –  istrasci Sep 20 '13 at 18:16
add comment

You can also say (私も)同じ、(私も)同じく、(私も)一緒等など

share|improve this answer

Is it rude to say 私も in a situation where です/ます form is appropriate? –  Ataraxia Sep 20 '13 at 16:46
@Ataraxia You can simply say 私もです。 –  oldergod Sep 23 '13 at 12:00
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.