Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently listening to 「愛国行進曲」, which is apparently a Shōwa-era patriotic song. It is written in a rather confusing mix of modern and Classical Japanese, but I think I can understand most of it except for 「往{ゆ}け八紘を宇{いえ}となし」. What is となし? Is it と無し? That doesn't seem to make any sense...

share|improve this question

Also, another weird part is 「正しき平和 打ちたてん」. Where does 打ちたてん come from? Is it 打ち立てぬ (= 打ち立てない)? That seems weird, as this seems to be meant as a command, not a negative! –  user54609 Sep 20 '13 at 0:21
Perhaps that ん is 助動詞「む」, the ancestor of modern 助動詞「う」? –  snailboat Sep 20 '13 at 0:42
Wikipedia actually lists the lyrics as "打ち立てむ" ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… –  dainichi Sep 20 '13 at 6:52
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think it might be the 連用形 of 為す, so that the meaning is roughly

八紘を宇となし
make the whole world our home

Also, ん is most likely む, which carries the meaning of ~う・~よう, giving

正しき平和打ちたてん
let us establish true peace

share|improve this answer

So it means roughly 正しい平和を打ち立てよう? –  user54609 Sep 20 '13 at 0:48
Yes, I would think so. –  Earthliŋ Sep 20 '13 at 0:51

Ohh. Maybe I had misunderstood a lot of ~ん in lyrics and whatnot? How about the case of the last line of さくらさくら? 見にゆかん = 見るために、行かない or 行こう? Both seem to make sense, as to see something you need to stop ゆくing, but if it is far away, you need to ゆく there first... –  user54609 Sep 20 '13 at 17:17

It is most definitely 行こう. –  Sjiveru Sep 20 '13 at 19:30
@user54609 Why 見る ため に? ます-stem + に is such a common construction... I would say that 見に行こう should be the contemporary translation. –  Earthliŋ Sep 20 '13 at 21:34
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.