Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Dictionaries have 「たくさん」 listed as being either a noun or 形容動詞。Googling "たくさんな" returns only 190,000 hits; none of the top 20 pages are professional websites. Rather, they are only blogs.

My impression is that, practically speaking, 「たくさん」 is used only as a noun? For some idiosyncratic reason, it's also listed as 形容動詞? Can anyone shed some light as to what's going on? Is this issue related to the meaning of 形容動詞、or just about that the word, 「たくさん」, is exceptional。?

thanks.

share|improve this question
I always heard it was an adverb... –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 17 '13 at 19:57
I've never heard たくさん**な**; only たくさん**の**. –  istrasci Sep 17 '13 at 20:14

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

My impression is that, practically speaking, 「たくさん」 is used only as a noun?

Unless you belong to the school who believes that 形容動詞 are really nouns, I don't think it's a noun, e.g. you cannot say *たくさんを食べる. And I don't see any examples in the goo dictionary that suggest it's more of a noun than any other 形容動詞.

Is this issue related to the meaning of 形容動詞、or just about that the word, 「たくさん」, is exceptional?

I don't see anything exceptional about it. Some 形容動詞 use な, some use の. This one usually uses の, like e.g. 普通.

I'm not sure why the goo dictionary doesn't list たくさん as an adverb, although it lists examples of adverbial use. This is quite common for 形容動詞 of quantity and classifiers to be used adverbially

少しのご飯を食べる ~ ご飯を少し食べる
3杯のご飯を食べる ~ ご飯を3杯食べる

share|improve this answer

I didn't use the term "adverbials", just "adverbial" and "adverbially", which just mean "as an adverb". –  dainichi Sep 18 '13 at 22:30

I cannot present a linguist's arguement on this but surely たくさん can be regarded as both grammatically and in meaning as equivalent to "plenty": It is a noun describing a state (数や量が大きい様子)which can also be used as a counter representing an unspecified amount:

There is plenty of N = Nがたくさんあります。

cf: We have two N. = Nが 二つあります

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.