Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

what are the Japanese, and English, technical terms for these verb transforms:


and this: 読まれる、買われる、書かれる、...

and this: 読ませる、買わせる、書かせる、...

Is there a standard term that textbooks use to call the changing of verb stems into those 3 different forms? "Verb conjugation" sounds natural, however "conjugate" does not sound correct in the context.

What do Japanese students call the changing of verbs into those 3 different forms?


share|improve this question
Japanese as taught to non-native speakers (日本語教育) usually describes these differently than Japanese school grammar (国文法). For instance, in the latter, 読まれる isn't a single inflectional form. Instead, it's the inflectional form 読ま, plus the inflectable suffix れる. – snailplane Sep 17 '13 at 18:23
up vote 5 down vote accepted

読める、買える、書ける、... → Potential Form (可能形)

and this: 読まれる、買われる、書かれる、... → Passive form (受け身形)

and this: 読ませる、買わせる、書かせる、... → Causative form (使役【しえき】形)

"Conjugation" is correct, and you can say 動詞の活用(形).

share|improve this answer
I'd never heard the term 受動態 before, but apparently they are equivalent. The though means "form", so 受動態 seems like the more general "passive voice". – istrasci Sep 17 '13 at 19:27
@kinyo Well, they're almost direct translations. They mean present continuous form, future form, and past perfect form... – snailplane Sep 17 '13 at 21:21
@kinyo: Sounds about right. Here's what my dictionary says. 使役の助動詞「させる」の未然形+受身の助動詞「られる」. – istrasci Sep 18 '13 at 19:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.