Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have learned in school that じゃ ありましん is the "non-past negative" conjugation of です.

Example:

私は日本人じゃありません。

"I am not Japanese."

I have noticed that じゃ ありません contains the pronunciation of the negative form of あります.

From a strictly grammatical point of view, does じゃ ありません say that something doesn't exist? If so, what is the grammatical purpose of attaching じゃ to the proceeding word?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Firstly, じゃ is a contraction of では, where は is the topic particle. The construct ではありません is then seen to be the negative form of であります with a は inserted, and であります is a formal version of です.

So perhaps the real question is, what is the purpose of で? It carries most of the semantic load: there a few other constructions meaning "to be" of the pattern で + (verb of existence), e.g. である, でございます, でござる. So you could say that で means "to be", with the caveat that it is not itself a verb. Of course, by "to be" here I only mean the sense of the linking verb and not the existential verb.

My own preference is to say that で means something like "as". Then 〜である etc. translate as "to exist as ...", or in short, "to be ...".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.