Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I tried to say "I'm not a high school student". But I read you can use じゃない to 'deny' something. In this case which one should I use? でわありません or じゃない?

私はこうこうの学生でわありません。or 私はこうこうの学生じゃないです。?

share|improve this question
Pure translation questions are not acceptable here, sorry. Please try to ask a more substantive question about where it is you're having trouble. Is it a vocabulary problem? Grammar? –  ssb Sep 17 '13 at 1:50

Sorry! I just edit my question and now I think it's a valid one. –  Cute cat Sep 17 '13 at 2:03
You could maybe say 高校生 instead of こうこうの学生. –  snailboat Sep 17 '13 at 2:20

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

First of all, you would use で, not で. It's the particle , the same one as 私は at the beginning of your sentence.

Second, you have many options here. じゃ is just a contraction of では, and ない is just the informal form of ありません. So you have four choices that are all correct.

• じゃない → most informal
  • ではない
  • じゃありません
  • ではありません → most formal

So it really depends on the context, who you're speaking to, and how formal you want to be. Whether or not you want to say では・じゃないです instead of just では・じゃない is another issue, but you may want to look at this topic regarding that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.