Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was surpised to hear from a Japanese coworker that using a question mark "?" (gimonfu) after the か particle is correct Japanese.

Which of these are NG?

1. 何時に会いましょうか
  2. 何時に会いましょうか?
  3. 何時に会いましょう?

In what context is each acceptable/appropriate?

share|improve this question

Do you mean that all 3 sentences are spoken alike but only written differently, in which in #3 does the "?" imply the "か" sound? –  hippietrail Jun 18 '11 at 2:19
It is not particularly correct. It is just that people colloquially do that. –  user458 Oct 3 '11 at 8:00

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

All 3 are correct.

1. could appear in old and/or formal Japanese, where the question mark is often absent. Note that you would still need a punctuation then, probably a full stop: 「。」

2. and 3. will both appear anywhere and depend only on the level of formality of the conversation. Omitting the particle would make your question slightly more familiar (or, in some case, slightly more masculine-sounding).

share|improve this answer

I have often wondered this myself! Thank you! –  silvermaple Dec 8 '11 at 18:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.