Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the following sentence (emphasis mine):

ひょっとしたら僕が​圧力の一つや二つをかけられて​いることも知っているのかもしれない。

The bolded part is kind of confusing me. I get that 圧力をかけられる means "to be pressured" or "to have pressure applied [to one]", but I don't understand how you can have 一つや二つの圧力, since 圧力 seems like an uncountable noun.

Is this just an unusal way of saying 僕が一度や二度圧力をかけられた ("[someone] pressured me once or twice")?

share|improve this question

Where is this sentence coming from? –  Ataraxia Sep 8 '13 at 13:59

@Ataraxia It's a professionally-published piece of Japanese fiction (a light novel, for what it's worth). –  senshin Sep 8 '13 at 14:15
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

圧力 here means "pressure to do something (or not do something)". E.g.: 論文を発表しないよう圧力を受けた (I was pressured to not publish my paper).

There could be multiple, distinct ways of applying such pressure, like freezing one's account AND threatening to kill him, etc. That's why he says 「一つや二つ」.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.