Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I apologize if this is a basic question, but it's something I've never been entirely clear on. When using the verb 言う (to say), I can never figure out whether to use the particle -と or the particle -を for the thing being said. I know that -と is used for quotations, but what about when the thing being said is not a direct quotation? For example, is it acceptable to say:

彼女は何と言いましたか。
What did she say?

or

先生が宿題の締切りと言いましたか。
Did the teacher say what the deadline on the homework is?

In these two situations, I'm not sure whether to use を or と. Can anyone tell me what the difference between is?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I feel like this has been asked before, but I can't find it if it has. You've got it spot on with being the quotation marker; that is Xと言う means that X was literally (more or less) what was said. Using is more about the meaning/gist/essence of what is said. Here's a pair that I always remember to help distinguish them.

• なにを言ってるのか? → "What are you saying?" meaning "I don't understand what you're talking about"
  • なんと言ってるのか? → "What are you saying?" meaning "I don't/can't understand the words you're speaking" (maybe they are mumbling; phone conversation static-y and breaking up; etc.)

Or this set

• なにを言ったらいいか? → "What/How should I say (this)?" meaning "What's the best way for me to explain this?"
  • なんと言ったらいいか? → "What should I say?" meaning "What's the best wording for what I want to say?"

With your examples, the first one could be either - 彼女は何を/と言いました? - but again, the meaning would change slightly (the meaning or exact wording of what she said) as I mentioned above. With the second one, is more correct for the context.

• 先生が宿題の締切を言いましたか。 → Did the teacher tell us the deadline for the homework? → The meaning of "the homework's deadline" would be an exact date/time.
  • 先生が宿題の締切といいましたか。 → Did the teacher say "the homework's deadline"? → Not likely that the teacher would have said that exact phrase.
share|improve this answer
I wouldn't say "literally". と can be used for reported speech as well. –  Zhen Lin Sep 6 '13 at 21:21

@Zhen Lin: To be more precise と is used for direct and indirect speech. Expressions such as 行けと言いました without context could be either (he said "go"/he told me to go) but 行けを言いました is ungramatical. Istraci's explanation is still good. –  Tim Sep 6 '13 at 23:12

Excellent answer. Thanks! –  Ataraxia Sep 7 '13 at 17:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.