Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

(Apologies for lack of clarity but thx for the quick feedback. Now on my nml PC.)

Could somebody tell me the meaning/use of both もs in bold in the following sentence? It is the background explanation for the essay titled 「さよなら、ゴジラ先生」 in the magazine, 中上級のにほんご.

Also, I am not sure about the use of こんな in the second sentence; again what is it referring to? I think it means "this kind of doctor" but what kind? should I be able to infer the adjective, or is this an invitation to read on and find out?

日本の大きな病院は、診察してもらうに時間がかかります。そして、なんだか怖い感じ。でも、こんな先生いるのですね。今月は、大病院の診察室を舞台にしたエッセーです。

The answer must surely relate to context but I should appreciate an explanation from someone who understands.

share|improve this question

@Tim how do you know it means "this kind/good/something doctor" ? –  oldergod Sep 6 '13 at 0:18

All; Thank you: 中上級 is correct. (I am not on my normal pc); I have made the mo bold; "this kind/good/something doctor" is just my guess. If it cannot be inferred please say so. T –  Tim Sep 6 '13 at 0:22

We know 先生 means "doctor here because of the hospital context... –  execjosh Sep 7 '13 at 2:00

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted

日本の大きな病院は、診察してもらうに**時間がかかります。

This も means something like "even"; that everything else also takes a lot of time.

そして、なんだか怖い感じ。でも、こんな先生**いるのですね。

This も means "in the world", kind of... I think this sentence is referring not only to the doctors themselves; but, also the place where they work, or how they treat their patients. I guess they want to say something along the lines of: "everyone's so scary; it's hard to believe that there could be doctors who would work in such a place". However, this is just speculation. There needs to be more context (i.e., the whole article) to get a good grip on what they mean here...

(See comment to get complete answer to question - Tim)

Update

Thinking about it again, maybe it's more like this:

Even just getting an examination at a big hospital in Japan takes so long. It can be dreadful.

share|improve this answer

Regarding context - I am trying to get help to understand how the title and the by-line to the magazine article are enough in themselves to introduce the article. I agree with you on the use も in both cases and with your help now understand the second sentence is drawing a contrast between the imposing hospital and the "Godzilla-sensei" in the title. They don't tell us what kind of doctor Godzilla-sensei is because they want us to read the article to find out. (Atricle ref added to question) –  Tim Sep 6 '13 at 22:58

Yes, I think it's definitely meant to be a "hook" to get the reader interested :) –  execjosh Sep 7 '13 at 2:28
Why the downvote? –  execjosh Feb 21 at 3:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.