Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed that both 死ぬ and the 音読み of 死 share a し sound. Is this a huge coincidence between Japanese and Chinese, or is there some sort of relation? I guess the former, because I don't know any function ぬ may have after a borrowed noun, but I don't know much about etymology.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It is a tempting identification, but the 〜ぬ suffix is inexplicable. In fact, there are only two n-stem verbs in Old Japanese – 死ぬ and 去【い】ぬ – plus one auxiliary (the perfective 〜ぬ), all of which are conjecturally related. Linguistic coincidences are not unheard of: one well-known example concerns the word "dog" in English and in Mbabaram.

For what it's worth, the 日本語国語大辞典 records the following etymological theories:

【語源説】

(1)息がなくなる意のシイヌ(息去)の義〔日本語原学=林甕臣〕。シイヌル(息逝)の義〔松屋棟梁集〕。

(2)サリヌルの反〔名語記〕。

(3)スギイヌル(過往)の義〔名言通〕。

(4)シヲルル、シボム、シヒルの義と通じる〔国語の語根とその分類=大島正健〕。

(5)シは〆領る、ヌは歇了る義〔国語本義〕。

By contrast, it is generally accepted that words like 馬【うま】 and 梅【うめ】 are ancient loanwords from Chinese.

share|improve this answer
There's also a theory of 死に去ぬ>死ぬ. –  Sjiveru Sep 5 '13 at 19:17

Re: 馬{うま}, while likely arriving in Japanese via Chinese, that word probably originated in some central Asian language, given the proliferation of related terms throughout many otherwise-unrelated languages. See also 馬#Japanese on Wiktionary and mark (Proto-Indo-European) on Wiktionary. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 19 at 17:28

Re: Japanese and Chinese 死, I also recall somewhere running into the theory that this might well have been some such linguistic accident, where a native proto-Japanese word for "death" just happened to sound like the Chinese word, hence the し overlap in both on'yomi and kun'yomi. (That said, at the moment I can't remember which resource I found that in.) –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 19 at 17:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.