Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, we have constructions like "Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York" (MLK's I Have A Dream speech) and "Let there be light" (Genesis 1:3, KJV and other versions).

Is there an idiomatic Japanese equivalent of this construction? I can imagine circumlocuting around it with something like ニューヨークの偉大なる山から自由が響くようにあろう, but I'm not sure if that's idiomatic (or even correct) Japanese.

The Japanese Living Bible seems to translate "Let there be light" as 「光よ、輝け」, but that seems to me to mean "Shine, light", which is not really the same thing.

share|improve this question
A couple very similar translations of "let freedom ring": 「自由の鐘を打ち鳴らそう」 and 「自由の鐘を鳴らそう」. –  snailboat Sep 3 '13 at 22:13

There are no subjunctive verbs in your examples. "ring" and "be" in "let ring"/"let be" are infinitives. –  dainichi Sep 4 '13 at 1:26

@dainichi Duly noted. –  senshin Sep 4 '13 at 3:21
@dainichi That's not correct: the "present subjunctive" in English happens to coincide with the bare infinitive. –  Zhen Lin Sep 4 '13 at 7:19
@ZhenLin They do coincide, but dainichi is correct in noting that it has an infinitival function in this context. Not that this is germane to the existence or lack thereof of a corresponding Japanese construction. –  senshin Sep 4 '13 at 15:21

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't think they're idiomatic at all, but you've touched on both of them. "Let" in these cases translates to either a command, or to what basically amounts to "may". With the former, you would use the 命令形 as you noted. In my Japanese Bible (新共同訳), that verse in Genesis simply says 光あれ!. With the latter, you're essentially describing a "wish" or some desire that is more-or-less out of your control. In this case, you use ~ように ("may it be (such) that..."). Refer to the following topic for more info on this usage.

xref: How does this ように work?

share|improve this answer

One of Maaya Sakamoto's songs is called 「光あれ」 which seems to mean "Let there be light". Lyrics.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.