Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, from the song Fare Well by L'Arc~en~Ciel:

あなたは いつまでも この僕のこと 愛してくれたのかな

and countless examples from manga, like:

だが このオレは 死なん...

こんどは このオレが きさまを 滅ぼす

このオレに 勝てるわけがない

My guess is that it この + first-person-pronoun is just emphasis, but is there anything more here?

share|improve this question

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/973/…. It is better to add a link when you know a related question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 17 '11 at 17:21

It feels like it singles out that particular person and adds emphasis, like you said. I don't think there's anything beyond this. So このおれ would be "I [and no one else]", and そのあなた would be "you [and no one else]". I've got nothing to back this up, unfortunately. –  Derek Schaab Jun 17 '11 at 18:32

Like when Daffy Duck says "Not THIS little black duck!"? –  Kef Schecter Jun 18 '11 at 1:28

let's say my name is あき and i use このあき to refer to myself.. does/n't it sound rude? –  Pacerier Jun 18 '11 at 14:03

@Pacerier: Using your own name to refer to yourself is highly unusual (if you're a girl and trying to project a cutesy character you might be able to get away with it), so このあき would sound very strange. –  Derek Schaab Jun 22 '11 at 17:57

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would say nuance of ラルク song is different with other manga texts.

あなたは いつまでも この僕のこと 愛してくれたのかな

この僕 in above sentence is more like こんな僕, kind of humble.

Will you ever love me even if I were such ...

But, other sentences on manga are trying to express himself superior

だが このオレは 死なん... No wonder, I won't die (such easily)

こんどは このオレが きさまを 滅ぼす, Remember!, this I will destroy/ruin you next time.

このオレに 勝てるわけがない. You can never ever beat me for any reason!!!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.