Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A sentence from JapanesePod 101:

北米とヨーロッパでは通常スカートは女性がはくものと思われているが、世界的には多くの男性がスカートをはく。

In North America and Europe a skirt is thought of as something a woman wears, but in many countries men wear skirts.

I don't see why it's 世界的には rather than 世界的では, especially when では is used in the first clause. で seems to fit both clauses (location of action).

share|improve this question

If it said あるの地域では男性がスカートをはく, では would be appropriate because 世界の地域 (parts of the world) is a noun. –  Ataraxia Sep 2 '13 at 16:21
@Ataraxia Did you type あるの地域 but intend to type 世界の地域? –  snailboat Sep 2 '13 at 20:17

2 Answers 2

up vote 11 down vote accepted

的 makes 世界 into a 形容動詞 ("na-adjective"), which, when functioning as adverb, turns into ~的に. ~的では is simply ungrammatical.

share|improve this answer

世界的には is being translated as "in many countries", but this is just the natural English translation.

"世界的" means "global" or "worldwide", and functions as an adverb when に is attached as Earthling explains. So "世界的には" here is kinda hard to translate literally but means something closer to "globally" or "on a global scale".

世界的には Looking at the world as a whole
多くの男性が many men
スカートをはく。wear skirts.

Or in more natural English: "In many countries men wear skirts."

share|improve this answer

I do not see where "countries" comes from, why not just keep "globally"? –  dainichi Sep 3 '13 at 0:36

Thanks! But is the contrastive は then marking an adverb (世界的に)? I thought は could only be used on nouns. –  Viridian Sep 3 '13 at 3:52
The contrastive は can be used on almost everything. –  Earthliŋ Sep 3 '13 at 9:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.