Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've come across two similar examples of a usage of の I am not familiar with.

彼は運のいい男だ 意志の強い人だ

I kinda understand how it is supposed to work but feel like I could parse it better if I were to hear how they are supposed to be broken up mentally.

Like this (運のいい)男 OR like this 運の(いい男)

In other words... I want to know if it is saying that he is a man of good fortune or saying that is is a man good of fortune.

ALSO: How often does this come up? Is it any different in meaning to 運がいい男だ? Is it more polite or something?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think it carries the technical name "が・の conversion" and both 運がいい男 and 運のいい男 mean the same thing. The conversion occurs when a phrase modifies a noun. The subject of the modifying phrase is then marked by の instead of が. It should be parsed as (運のいい)男. This construction works not only with "i-adjectives", but also with verbs, for example:

勇気のある人
a man of courage / a brave man

肌の綺麗な人
a person with beautiful skin

share|improve this answer

So when would 運がいい/肌がきれい/勇気がある be used? And is it still correct to use が when the phrase modifies a noun? –  Ataraxia Sep 2 '13 at 16:03

@Ataraxia 運がいい can still be used as in a normal sentence, where 運 is the subject, e.g. あの男は運がいい. 運がいい男 is still correct, but 運のいい男 is the preferred construction. –  Earthliŋ Sep 2 '13 at 18:22

Thanks, very helpful! –  Ataraxia Sep 2 '13 at 19:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.