Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to ask for help with translating the following sentence:

今日は、「練習していないことは嘘をつかない」という悲しいセリフを実感しました。練習も嘘をつかないんだけど、その逆も然り。

I understand parts of it for example

練習していないことは嘘をつかない
悲しい
セリフ
実感する

But my problem is putting them together in translation of the sentence above. Also, I found out that 実感する means "have a feeling", "my actual feeling" is or "to realize", but I can't make it out which one is the right one here.

So basically, I have problem with the use of the verb 実感する, furthermore with the translation of the whole sentence.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Something like

今日は、「練習していないことは嘘をつかない」という悲しいセリフを実感しました。
Today I experienced the sad line "the fact of not having practised doesn't lie" for myself.

If you gave some context there might be a more fitting translation.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the help. so that sebiru may be an inner voice saying it to herself or himself. –  Dajka Laszlo Aug 31 '13 at 11:00
"I you have not practised well, then the fact will be known to everyone even if you don't say about it" -- "You can't do good jobs without practises" –  jovanni Aug 31 '13 at 12:54
add comment

It's something along the lines of:

Today I realized what is really meant by the woeful words, "it shows when you have not practiced". I know it shows when one has practiced; but, the opposite is also very true.

Basically, 実感 means that one has "actually (実) experienced/felt (感)" something.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.