Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've heard that Japanese is spoken by some Taiwanese people who were old enough to have lived during Japanese rule, along with some people who've learnt it for other reasons. For younger people, I've been told Mandarin or English would be the best means of communication, but I have a tendency to socialize a lot with retirees.

How similar is the Japanese spoken in Taiwan by native speakers to the Japanese used in Japan? Did the two diverge after 1945? Are words that entered Japanese after 1945 also used in the Japanese spoken in Taiwan?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

As far as I know, there is no difference, because Japanese is mainly used as a language to talk to people in Japan which is right close by, and to enjoy media and products from Japan. Japanese is still widely studied in Korea for the same reasons. Japanese textbooks in Taiwan seem to demonstrate an eagerness for fluency and avoiding confusion in business conversation.

Taiwan was under Japanese administration until 1945 and the language has not changed significantly since then.

On the other hand, the Japanese used in Hawaii and Brazil, among the lower-class immigrant Japanese communities there, may preserve some older forms. That immigration happened around 1900.

share|improve this answer

I have also heard that many of the immigrants to Hawai'i came from the south (or west, depending on how you look at it) of Japan, biasing the selection of dialects there. –  Trevor Alexander Dec 30 '13 at 3:17
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.